Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Migration

It was 37 degrees and my nose was tingling pleasantly. As I walked along the road, my breath made white puffs in front of my face. The sun was just peeking over a hill wrapped in orange, red, pale yellow, and green. Beautiful!

Then I noticed something. At first I couldn't distinguish where it was coming from; it was a muted muttering, warbling, and chirping noise. Looking around, I finally looked above the treetops to the sky. There they were, hundreds of tiny birds, fluttering in a great cloud towards the rising sun. As of one accord, they swerved and dived. Calling out encouraging chirps to their fellow travelers, they took turns being in the front, back, and sidelines. As I watched, a few little birds resting on a tree nearby gave flight and joined the flock as it disappeared into the sunrise.

I was suddenly struck with the thought: Oh that God's people could be more like that! All traveling together with one mind; encouraging one another and taking part in different tasks and roles. Moving ever towards the Son and not resting until we reach our new home. Drawing others to us by our excitement and enthusiasm. We are, in a sense, on a great migration. The place where we were before no longer satisfies us and we long for a better place. We are traveling towards it, towards the Son, with the knowledge that its only in His light that we will find rest.

The birds vanished into the lengthening rays of the sun and I was left alone with my thoughts. My nose protested the nippy air and I continued to exude puffs of white. But I wasn't thinking about that anymore. Instead I was thinking: am I doing all that I can to move towards the Son and encourage others along the way? What I can do to help others speed their journey toward home?

4 comments:

  1. What a neat thought. Thanks for sharing Allie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a good writer Allie. Do you ever think you'll take the creative writing class? Thanks for using your gifts to point to Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Josh :). I hope to one day...its on my "to do" list. How are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll be teaching that class if you too much longer... Everything is good here. It is not the hot season yet, I've been healthy, I got a black and white kitten, (her name is Lady) I learned the 27 vowels and am starting on the consonants, I spent $25 and got an old Japanese single speed bicycle and ride it all over the province. Bicycle speed is the perfect speed to be able to stop and see people, to wave and smile, see details, and make eye contact.
    We are right on the river I can swim to the next town. I crawl out on the bank dripping wet and bare foot and have a friend drive me home. Sometimes fishermen paddle over in their canoes and offer to pick me up. sometimes I go with them wherever they are going and sometimes I assure them that I am just enjoying some exercise and they paddle off shaking their heads.
    There is amazing things happening all the time. We did a weekend of natural health classes that was very popular. We found sponsors for a 14 year old boy named Romalli to get a heart surgery that change his life forever. I read the book of luke with my barber and he drank in every work and asked a lot of questions. Whenever we were reading and I would stop to talk to someone he would call me back and say "you can't stop now, this is just getting good" His name is Dokla.
    Any way, it is time to let Kara use the computer, but I posted a picture of him on my blog.

    What are you up to these days? Get ready to fall off the face of the earth in Philippines!

    ReplyDelete