Sunday, November 7, 2010

ACLS

"Sir? Are you ok? Are you ok?" I called futilely several times. Obviously, he was not ok.

"I need some help in here! You, get the crash cart. You, start an IV. Peter, start compressions! Lets get a monitor on him."

As the team settled into organized confusion, I frantically racked my brain for things might be forgetting.

I watched as they began thumping on the chest of the dummy and giving two rescue breaths to every 30 compressions.
Once the heart monitor was in place and I saw the rhythm, I had to figure out what to do next. V-tach, ok, so that means......

I was in the middle of a class of ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support). Now in addition to compressions and rescue breathing, we get to learn things like defibrillation, pacing, and when  to give meds. Although I enjoy it, its pretty intimidating when you look at the heart monitor, see it flat-line, and then have to decide what to do about it!

Leaning all this reminds me of just how amazingly intricate our bodies are! So much complexity involved in even the twitching of  a muscle.

Acts 28:17 says, "For in Him we live and move and have our being." Talk about advanced cardiac life support! If you take out the phrase 'in Him' there is no more living, or moving, or having being!

So as I give epinephrine and shock aberrant heart rhythms (hopefully) back to normal, its a reminder to me to remain 'in Him' and keep my heart in the right place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment